Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This season's for the birds

I got to watch just about all of the football games this weekend (to Pam's delight). Until the Steelers won in the late game, the underdog won all the football games. So right now we have the Cardinals, Eagles, Ravens, and Steelers in the conference championship game so it ought to be pretty interesting. Just off the top of my head, I'm predicting a Steelers - Eagles Super Bowl with the Steelers winning it.

During commercial breaks I installed Vista on my computer. I'm actually really liking it. It seems to run slightly faster than XP did (although it really needed a cleaning) and the Aero interface is nice and purty :). Obviously there are a few issues like UAC and my printer not working but I disabled UAC and I'm probably going to buy another printer anyways that DOESN'T clog up after 3 days. I'm getting used to it and honestly I don't see what the fuss is about now. Yeah, it DID suck when it first came out but so did XP, I remember having to throw away a bunch of games because they wouldn't play right in XP when I got it way back in 2002. Right now, every single program works but one and that works in XP compatibility mode.

The only other hardware problem I am having is that the eSata port on my Seagate external drive is recognized by Windows but Windows can't communicate with it. I think it's a problem with the drive or cable personally but it worked fine in XP and now it's shit in Vista. I don't know what the deal is. I kinda want to sell it and get a terabyte internal drive. I only got the external drive for storage because I didn't have sata ports on my computer at the time. Now I have a ton of them so there's no need for an external drive. I don't really take it anywhere, it's too bulky for that. I can get about $100.00 for the drive and either turn that into a 1TB drive or another 500 GB and a portable 100-200MB drive if I really needed a portable. However, if the interface is broke, I should probably send it to Seagate. Unfortunately that costs money. Wonder if I can talk them into just RMA'ing the interface (it's removable). Hmmmmmm.

I never did get Windows 7 installed, but I do have the official iso and product key. Maybe sometime this week or weekend I'll check it out and let you (the non-existant reader) know how it is.

I did however check out Playstation Home finally. I'm not incredibly impressed. The interface is pretty nice and some of games are nice. You can play pool, bowling, or one of 3 arcade games in the Bowling alley. However the downside is that there is a finite amount of game cabinets, pool tables, and lanes so you are always waiting to get on a game. They may have multiple servers to split the load, but it's hidden to you and there's no way to switch. The character creator is pretty robust, however you're very limited in clothes and furniture. Currently you have to purchase just about everything which ranges from .49 to 2.49 (for clothes from Diesel). You can get a bigger home for 4.99 and furniture which mostly costs 1.99 to 2.99. I don't really see myself using it too much to justify spending money on it. You do get freebies from certain games by hitting a certain score. I wish to hell that they would take another cue from Microsoft and convert trophies to points that you can spend in the Playstation store. I have 43 trophies from Fallout 3. I would glady spend those points on something if I had them, but I'm not so freaking rich that I can buy designer clothes for my digital avatar :)

I'm really digging the new season of 24. You had to figure the government would eventually crack down on the actions of CTU, I think it's stupid that they would try to make Jack the fall guy but even in the first 4 hours there's been so many twists that I'm crosseyed.


Jack's on trial, now he's working for the FBI, Tony Almeida's alive and a terrorist, there a mole in the FBI, an African warlord is blackmailing the US with a device that can crash any plane mess with the power grid, etc., Tony's captured, turns out he's undercover and a good guy. Jack breaks him out, finds out that Bill Buchanan and Chloe are the only two who know about this. Jack and Tony go undercover and try to kidnap an African Prime Minister.


I like it because right now we have a break from Arab terrorists and nukes. That had gotten a little stale. Although, once again they are resorting to having a mole in the agency. Don't they keep up on their people? Seriously this has happened in every season :(. Can't the terrorists almost succeed because of incompetence and not inside help?

I gots to get back to work because, I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!!!

Other than that, it was pretty uneventful. I barely touched Fallout, I need to get the last 8 trophies so I can work on something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment