Thursday, February 12, 2009

The train definitely is not a-rolling

Note: You Know Who: you will probably not want to read this, as I'm bitching about money. I need to vent on this but I can't stop you from seeing it. No more fights please.

On the road to financial success we've made progress but have hit a few potholes too. My wife and I finally (after 6 yrs of marriage) have gotten a joint checking account. A lot of it is that I always feel weird having to use a card with her name on it when making purchases. I've only been hassled about it a few times in 4-5 years but it's still weird. On top of that, all of my online purchases I have to put in her name because she's the account holder.

Anyways, we got a sweet deal at West Bend (now Westbury) Bank. If you:
-Make 10 credit purchases a month and
-Have 1 direct deposit or 1 automatic bill payment a month and
-Check your online account at least once a month

You will get 4.44% interest paid out on your checking account balance and out-of-network ATM fees (up to $25) refunded. That's almost double the FNBO Savings account I just opened. Now of course we don't usually have too much in the account, so we won't get too much in interest but it's still nice. Also even if you don't meet the criteria for the month, you still get .2% Now we just have to go through all the hassle of switching our account stuff over. I've got my Direct Deposit changed and now there's an automatic payment or two we have to work out.

However, as I've been tracking the finances more, I thought (at first) that we had a lot more money to save. However, I was really tired and failed to account for a few things. Pam redid it at work and found that we have a lot less than I thought. Money really makes her anxious and when she's anxious she yells at me. I suppose it's her right, but when she starts getting into how I'm getting nothing back for my 60,000 in student loans, I think it's a low blow.

I mean she's right in a sense. While I'm doing better than if I hadn't gone at all. I'm only making $3 more per hour than when I was at the factory, so that's not really worth the 60000 of debt I incurred. I have a CIS degree which I've never used for a programming job. I could not find a job after I left school the first time. Looking back, I didn't try hard enough but still I did try and didn't get any callbacks because I had no experience. So in order to not pay on the student loans, I went back for a CNT degree (networking). Using that, I was able to get a job, but it was only through sheer luck, as my neighbor ran a computer repair shop and hired me. I saw that a lot of jobs are requiring a Bachelor's degree, so I got a BS in Technology Management, which was a waste of time and money in my opinion.

So yeah, I'm 60000 in debt and working a $15/hr job that I can't get promoted to permanent employement (The state has a hiring freeze) and with the economy, I can't find a new job. Even if I could, it would be hard to move up because someone would have to take a chance on me. I've been repairing computers/general help desk for 4 years now but I'm not doing much here that would translate experience for a higher paying job. How do people move up? I don't know? I can't get experience because I have no experience....and that makes me anxious and depressed because I don't know how to get out of this hole.


So anyways, when that comes up in arguements it always makes me feel like shit because I did need to go to school to get the jobs I want, but I made so many fucking mistakes that it ended up doubling my student loan debt. If I had just gotten my CNT and had been done with it, I'd only have 25-30k worth of debt, which is much more managable and it would all be through the gov't. As it is for my bachelor's degree I had to take 12,000 out in private loans which my wife cosigned on so now she's on the hook for it too.


All this makes me a saaaaad panda. So I'm going to stop talking about it before I jump off a bridge or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment